A most amazing parallel exists between what happened to ancient Israel on a literal and local scale and what will happen to the Christian church—Spiritual Israel—on a worldwide scale in the last days.
NOTE THESE PARALLELS:
|Jer. 50:33, 34||Persecuted by Babylon||Rev. 17:6|
|Dan. 3:13||Forced to worship image||Rev. 13:15|
|Dan. 4:30||Called Babylon the Great||Rev. 17:5|
|Jer. 51:13, 14||Babylon sits on many waters||Rev. 17:1|
|Isa. 44:27, 28||Rescued by drying up Euphrates||Rev. 16:12|
|Jer. 51:6–8||Called out of Babylon||Rev. 18:4|
|Isa. 45:1||Rescuer called “the anointed”||Dan. 9:25|
|Isa. 41: 2, 25||Both rescuers from the “east”||Matt. 24:27|
Revelation 7:1–4 Only those who have been sealed will be numbered with the 144,000.
Revelation 14:1–5 Only those in whose mouths there is no guile will be sealed.
2 Corinthians 5:20 We are to live our lives as ambassadors for Jesus Christ.
1 John 3:22 As Christians, we keep God’s commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
Hebrews 12:1 As we “run” the Christian race, we lay aside the “weights” that hold us back.
1 John 5:4 Our Christian faith overcomes the world.
1 John 2:15 “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.”
1 Peter 2:9 As Christians we are to be a peculiar people.
THINGS WE LISTEN TO:
- Mark 4:24 Jesus said, “Take heed what you hear.”
- Proverbs 18:15 Ears of the wise seek knowledge.
- Proverbs 23:12 Again, we are to listen to that which gives knowledge and wisdom.
THINGS WE SEE:
- Isaiah 33:15, 16 Those going to heaven are those who stop listening to and seeing murderous bloodshed and other evil.
- Proverbs 23:26 Our eyes should observe the Lord’s ways (i.e., things that are good and wholesome).
- Ezekiel 20:7 We are to cast away anything that is an abomination to our eyes.
- Psalm 101:2, 3 We are to walk within our house with a perfect heart by not setting wicked things before our eyes.
- Psalm 119:37, 38 We are to turn from seeing vanity and instead have God’s Word established in our hearts.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 We are changed into the things we behold.
- Philippians 4:8 Whatsoever things are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, with virtue and praise, think on these things.
THINGS WE WEAR:
- Genesis 35:1–3 When God’s people were consecrated to Him, they put away all “strange gods.”
- Genesis 35:4 The result was that Jacob’s family put away their adornments.
- Exodus 33:4–6 After worshiping the golden calf, God called for a revival and asked His people to take off their ornaments.
- 1 Timothy 2:9 Again our dress is to be modest, without “broided hair” (meaning plaited—a custom of weaving gold strands, pearls, and beads into the hair) or gold, pearls, and costly array.
- 1 Peter 3:3, 4 Our adorning is to be modest, not with gold, pearls, and costly array, but with a meek and quiet spirit. It is the inner character that is valuable to God.
- Titus 2:11–14 As the church looks for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of Jesus, they allow God to purify them in all things as a peculiar people.